In Texas, BBQ is a way of life. Texas BBQ isn’t just about the food – it’s about the culture and tradition that goes with it. In Texas, there are many different styles of Texas BBQ to choose from: East Texas-style, Central Texas-style, West Texas-style, and South Texas-style. The four major regions in Texas each have their own unique sets of ingredients for their sauce, as well as a specific cooking method that defines them. You can enjoy some amazing BBQ at any one of these spots on your next trip to Austin or Houston!
Why is Texas BBQ Special?
There are many reasons why Texas BBQ is so special. One of the main reasons is that Texas BBQ is all about slow-cooking the meat over indirect heat. This results in a tender, juicy and smoky piece of meat that will make your taste buds happy! Texas BBQ sauce is also a key ingredient in making Texas BBQ stand out from the rest. It’s a unique blend of spices and flavors that is sure to please everyone.
If you’re looking for an authentic Texas BBQ experience, be sure to check out one of the many spots in Austin or Houston. You won’t be disappointed!
- Texas BBQ is all about slow-cooking the meat over indirect heat
- Texas BBQ sauce is a unique blend of spices and flavors that will please everyone
- Texas BBQ isn’t just about the food – it’s about the culture and tradition that goes with it.
- Texas BBQ makes use of dry seasoning, such as salt and black pepper. They don’t use wet ingredients, such as oil and vinegar, for seasoning.
- Texas BBQ offers a wide range of side dishes to make the meal more delicious. These include white bread, coleslaw, sliced onions, pickles, and cornbread.
- Texas BBQ is served in the traditional way, making it more appealing and delicious. After slicing the meat, it’s placed in a plastic tray covered with butcher paper.
- Most Texas BBQ is commonly made outdoors. Although it can be cooked indoor in a gas grill or an oven, it’s more common to find Texas BBQ cooked outside.
Different Types of Texas BBQ
There are various kinds of Texas BBQ you can taste and enjoy
- East Texas BBQ is the most traditional style of Texas BBQ. It’s usually distinguished from other kinds of BBQ by its sweet tomato-based sauce and use of hickory wood chunks.
- Central Texas BBQ is more modern and has a variety of wood options for smoking the meat, including oak, mesquite, and pecan. It’s also a simple kind of Texas BBQ since it only uses salt and black pepper for seasoning.
- West Texas BBQ uses mesquite to flavor their meats, and they don’t use the sauce. Also known as ‘cowboy style,’ it makes use of mesquite wood chunks to give the BBQ meat a more unique flavor. Unlike other kinds of Texas BBQ, the West Texas style is grilled over direct heat.
- South Texas BBQ doesn’t use any kind of smoke or seasoning on their meats at all! They cook it in an oven instead. The meat is filled with thick layers of sauce similar to barbacoa, which is a Mexican style of cooking beef, goat, or lamb.
Texas BBQ Sauce is a key ingredient in making Texas stand out from the rest.
Where to Find Texas BBQ in Austin?
Suppose you’re looking for Texas BBQ in Austin, head over to Franklin Barbecue. This is among the most popular spot for Texas BBQ in the city, and it’s usually a long wait, but it’s definitely worth it! They serve up some of the best brisket, ribs, and sausage you’ll ever taste.
If Franklin Barbecue is too crowded for you, try out Texas Monthly’s Top 50 BBQ Joints in Texas list to find a spot near you. There are plenty of options to choose from, so you’re sure to find something that suits your taste!
Where to Find Texas BBQ in Houston?
Houston is home to Texas’ oldest BBQ joint – The Original Ninfa’s on Navigation. It is also one of Texas Monthly’s Top 50 BBQ Joints in Texas and has been featured by many different food publications as well!
If you’re not feeling like heading out, try making some Texas-style beef ribs at home: it will be a fun and enjoyable activity to do with the family, and you’ll end up with some delicious Texas BBQ that’s sure to please everyone.
Where to Find Texas BBQ in Abilene?
Abilene, Texas, is home to Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew. This spot has some of the best briskets in town, so be sure to stop by if you’re ever nearby!
If you want to try some Texas BBQ in Abilene, stop by the famous Cooper’s Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que. They’ve been featured on several different TV shows, and it has won plenty of awards throughout the years!
How to Make Your Texas BBQ More Special?
Texas BBQ is indeed a special food to prepare for any occasion. And to make your BBQ more special, there are other variations you can do with the recipe. You can add some different types of meat, such as pork or chicken, and you can also experiment with the sauce to find a flavor that best suits your palate.
Another way to make your BBQ more special is by using a smoker. This will give your food that smoky taste that is so unique to Texas BBQ. Many BBQ restaurants and BBQ lovers are using wood chunks for smoker to provide moist and flavorful meat for their customers. Some common varieties of wood you’ll see are hickory, oak, and maple.
However, if you don’t have a smoker, you can use a charcoal grill or even an oven to get that same smoky flavor.
No matter how you prepare your Texas BBQ, it’s sure to be special! And don’t forget the sides – some delicious coleslaw or potato salad is always a good choice.
Also, don’t forget your favorite wine! Eating your Texas BBQ along with wine is an excellent combination that is sure to make you enjoy your meal.
Best BBQ Dishes to Enjoy with the Family
There are many different dishes you can enjoy with the family when Texas BBQ is on the menu. Some of our favorites include brisket, ribs, and sausage – but you can’t go wrong with any of the options!
If you’re looking for something quite different, why not try out some BBQ chicken or pork? These dishes are sure to be a hit with the family, and they’re healthy as well!
If you want to make your BBQ even more special, try making some Texas-style beef ribs at home. This will give you an opportunity to spend time with the family while doing something fun – and it’s sure to please everyone when dinner is made! There are many different types of Texas BBQ you can enjoy depending on your tastes and preferences.