Mother’s Day is fast approaching and this year there are three very important mothers I need to celebrate:
1. Tina, my own mother
2. Nancy, my boy’s mother, who adopts me when I can’t afford a plane ticket on holidays
3. Josette, my realtor, who has taken care of me like an Italian mother since I moved to Denver
“Food is symbolic of love when words are inadequate. ”
― Alan D. Wolfelt
Food is Love
All three of the mothers on my list love to cook and eat, so I thought it’d be a great time to make them up some delicious treat-packages, tailored to each of their tastes. Marczyk’s has been my one-stop-shop for those special tastes and specialty foods you can’t find at a regular old supermarket. It’s also a quick and easy gift if you’re running out of time like me!
After assembling all the goodies, I put them into these storage containers for easy travel, accompanied by a cute Marczyk’s paper bag to show where everything came from. Below you can find my shopping lists for each mother.
Tina: The Mom Away From Home
My actual mother lives in Los Angeles, which is a good distance away from Denver. So for mother’s day, it was important that I make my mom feel closer to me than she actually is. I wanted to send her a care package full of local Colorado products.
In Tina’s Gift:
- 2 Hammond’s Chocolate Bars | Denver, CO
- 1 Coffee Cup
- 1 12oz Pack of Corvus Coffee | Denver, CO
- 2 Squeeze Packs of Justin’s Nut Butter | Boulder, CO
- 1 Jar MMLocal Old Orchard Plums | Colorado Farms
Nancy: The Nutrition-Conscious Mom
Nancy is my boy’s mother and not only is she a southern mom with lots of foodie-love to share, but she has also recently become very nutrition-conscious. Often Mother’s Day gifts involve boxed chocolates or super sugary pies, but I wanted to give her some delicious treats that could still fit in her diet.
In Nancy’s Gift:
- 1 Jar Saso Chile Pequin Hot Sauce | every southern mom needs a good hot sauce
- 1 Coffee Cup
- 1 Jar MMLocal Old Orchard Plums | nature’s candy
- 1 Squeeze Pack of Justin’s Almond Butter | natural almond butter is tasty, but still on-diet
- 1 Container of Smoke Falksalt | specialty salts can add lots of flavor to low-fat meals
- 2 Mini Askinosie Chocolates | everyone still needs a little treat, and these are just the right size
Josette: The Euro-Savvy Mom
Josette is a strong Sicilian woman with an amazing kitchen, but I don’t know how she has the time to cook the gorgeous meals she does with all the work she puts in for her real estate job. I wanted to give her some European treats with a contemporary feel.
In Josette’s Gift:
- 1 Coffee Cup
- 1 Pack Maestri Italian Pasta (Imported) | to satisfy her Italian tastes
- 1 Spray Bottle of Olive Oil By L’Olivier | for when you just need a spritz, my favorite French olive oil comes in a convenient spray bottle now
- 1 Hammond’s Chocolate Bar | for a sweet tooth that’s not too sweet
- 1 Squeeze Pack of Justin’s Chocolate Almond Butter | an almond variant on the euro-popular Nutella
The above themes were perfect for the mothers in my life, but why not try tailoring some packages to your mother’s tastes? Here are a few ideas:
Is she a franco-foodie? Try some L’Olivier oils with a fresh baguette and French cheese.
Does she have a sweet tooth? Try a selection of Hammond’s candy goodies.
A coffee connoisseur? How about some exotic beans from all over the world or some rare local blends.
Let me know what you come up with! And moms, let me know what you think! Would you like to receive one of these care packages from your children?