Great artists steal and great dressers steal from Ines de la Fressange, the deity of French street style.
“Who knew that black and navy were made for each other? No one – until Yves Saint Laurent gave us permission to boldly go where no one had gone before… Know how to take liberties with fashion’s sacred dictates. Some rules are meant to be broken.” -Ines de la Fressange, Parisian Chic
The Classic Navy Sweater
Ines swears by a v-neck navy cashmere sweater as a closet staple. Pair it with…
– black pants (I like black skinny jeans, too)
– white jeans
– a leather jacket
This season, I’m loving it a little oversized and paired with tight leather (or faux-leather) pants. Looser tops love a tighter pant, so it really makes the most of the season’s leather-pant trend.
Where To Buy Your Navy Cashmere Sweater
– Éric Bompard (www.ericbompard.com)
– J.Crew (www.jcrew.com)
– Everlane (www.everlane.com)
– Thrift Stores (Cashmere lasts much longer than other fabrics)
Navy Sweater Faux Pas
– Don’t ever wear navy with yellow unless you work at Ikea.
– Don’t put your cashmere in the dryer unless you want your daughter (or dachshund) to wear it next (most cashmere is dry-clean only, but I’ve found hand washing to be okay).
So play around! Integrate the navy sweater into your offbeat chic pairings or your luxury basics for a truly French way to warm up this fall.
What do you like to pair with your navy sweater? Want some more style inspiration? Check out my pinterest style board!